Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council
The Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council welcomes you to FeatherFest and our hometown paradise, an island of 32 miles, rich with natural beauty. We are a non-profit, community-based volunteer organization that sponsors, supports and develops nature-based educational and recreational activities. We also help promote the value of natural habitats and resources in the Galveston area.
A group of Galveston residents, with support from the Galveston Island Park Board of Trustees and GPM, Inc. (now Mitchell Historic Properties), gathered in 2003 to plan the first FeatherFest. The following year, the group incorporated the Nature Tourism Council to continue sponsorship of the festival and expand its activities to include other nature-related tourism opportunities.
GINTC proudly celebrates the 15th anniversary of FeatherFest in 2017. Other projects and accomplishments during the past 15 years include:
- Providing leadership for the planning and development of the East End Lagoon Park and Nature Preserve;
- Providing leadership for the Galveston Park Board Tourism Development Advisory Board and the Nature Tourism ad hoc committee;
- Holiday with the Cranes – an annual weekend celebration of the winter return of the migrating Sandhill Cranes;
- Working with the Sea Turtle Restoration Project, National Marine Fisheries, and the Houston Zoo to present an annual “Galveston Sea Turtle Saturday” at the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary;
- Working with public and private entities to erect “Nature at the Beach” interpretive story boards on Galveston’s Seawall Boulevard;Initiating the construction of nature observation towers in the East End Lagoon Park;
- Developing and distributing the Great Galveston Island Birding Guide;Serving as start-up fiscal agent for the Galveston Island Tree Conservancy, whose mission is to reforest the island after 40,000 trees were destroyed in 2008 by Hurricane Ike;
- Working with the Galveston County Daily News to run a weekly bird photography contest in the month preceding FeatherFest.
- Sponsoring the Nature Tourism Partnership – a group of more than a dozen nature non-profit organizations meeting regularly to network and collaborate.
We invite you to participate in our programs and projects, as well as to help financially support them by becoming a member of the Nature Tourism Council. Members receive 10% off most FeatherFest fees.
Annual membership dues for individuals are $35; family membership dues are $70; supporting membership, $150; sustaining membership, $300; and lifetime membership, $500. Corporate memberships also are available. You can join during the FeatherFest registration process by clicking on the GINTC Membership button after you provide your profile info. From there, you’ll be able to join and register for the festival at the same time, and your discount will be applied automatically. You can also download a membership application here.
Thank you for your interest and support, and we’ll see you at FeatherFest 2017!